by Rachel Dahl --
Fallon, Nv. -- Mike Heideman and Jim Barbee, Emergency Management Officer and County Manager, respectively, reported to the group of community partners attending the County Board of Health meeting by video conferencing last Friday that as of that morning, April 10th there had been 63 COVID-19 tests given in Churchill County, with 51 negatives, and 12 were still pending. Since then a positive COVID case was announce on Monday evening, April 13th.
Sheriff Richard Hickox reported that he has received communication from the Nevada Vital Statistics Board last week, putting out a directive that they want extra information collected any time the Sheriff’s Office does a coroner report in regard to whether the death would be COVID or not. If there are suspicions that it might be COVID, they are to list the death as COVID related, even if there is not a positive result. “There are concerns with that in terms of accuracy in reporting from our standpoint,” said Hickox. He said he has requested clarification from the Vital Statistics board as well as requesting information from other sheriffs and doctors who are also concerned about inaccurate reporting. “Vital Statistics is going back to their chain of command because that was their directive has been.”
Hickox also said that the CDC (Center for Disease Control) is requiring the same thing, and there is concern that there will be over reporting. “We have put a hold on that in the department,” said Hickox, “and are waiting for clarification in case we do have a COVID death in the future.”
Doctor Tedd McDonald, the County Health Officer and chairman of the meeting reported that the state has issued similar guidelines to physicians through the Nevada Board of Medicine regarding report COVID deaths.
Bus Scharmann, County Commissioner asked, “when in doubt, list it as COVID?”
“Correct,” responded McDonald and Hickox.
“That’s stupid,” said Scharmann.
Barbee reported that there has been a change to the NAS Fallon testing that was originally going through Banner Churchill Community Hospital. Tests for COVID-19 are being done on base and are now being sent to the Navy Health Research Center in San Diego for analysis. Barbee said he is working with Rob Rule, the community planning liaison officer at NAS Fallon to get notification of those test results “so we can have those as a part of the cumulative tests and results we’re tracking.”
Churchill results are reported as they come available, on a nearly daily basis and include testing performed at Banner, Narag Fallon Family Clinic, and the Fallon Paiute Shoshone Tribe. At this point tests done at the Fallon Renown Clinic get sent to Reno and reported in the Washoe County Health District, as bulk data. Barbee has worked daily between Renown, the state, and Washoe County to get these data broken out and reports to Churchill County, but at this time there is no capacity between those entities to track the results. However, in the case of a positive test, the state will notify Churchill County if that positive is a resident of Churchill County.
Barbee also reported that he is on the incident command meeting calls with Banner every morning and some afternoons. “They continue to be prepared, continue to table-top procedures and are remaining flexible and willing to think out every possible scenario and they keep adjusting as new information become available.”
Several of the agencies and partners made reports on their efforts to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
Superintendent of the Churchill County School District, Summer Stephens, reported on the efforts of the district to send out regular notices to the partners and also discussed the “Learning from a Distance” website that the district is using for their students. The district continues to monitor their employees who are still working on site, mainly their food service workers who are serving close to 2,000 each of breakfast and lunch every day. One main concern has been making sure all students have access to wi-fi so they con complete their school work and local internet companies including CC Communications, Charter, and Verizon have all stepped up to provide free or expanded data service to households with students. Teachers are meeting and providing instruction through video conferencing and recording video instruction for students. The district is trying to get an answer from the state regarding the duration of the school year. At this point the closures are through April 30th, and the district has asked for a two-week lead time to know if that closure will be extended through the school year. The state will only commit to a one-week notice.
Dusty Casey reported on behalf of Oasis Academy, thanking the committee saying, “this is an amazing community that is coming together like we always do.” Oasis has also implemented a distance education program and is in contact with their families and students.
Lana Robards, executive director at New Frontier Treatment Center reported to the group that in order to protect their inpatients and staff there is limited access to and from their building, and no access for outpatients. Anyone who does need access to the building goes through the COVID screening and therapeutic services are still being offered 24/7 through tele-health. Group meetings are being held by video conferencing. “Our activity in the food bank has increased dramatically, and I’m grateful for the Food Bank of Northern Nevada for all they’ve done,” said Robards. If anyone needs food, they can call 427-5998, and staff is providing assistance to 200 seniors in the way of hot meals, shopping, and food boxes. Robards also thanked Frey Ranch for the hand sanitizer which has really helped with none of her 68 staff getting sick.
Highland Manor has also increased their cleaning procedures, limited visits, are avoiding group activities, and using tele-health for behavioral services and medical needs. Residents have been using video conferencing to “meet” with their families.
Lisa Erquiaga reported on the activities at the Pennington Life Center, saying that for the past four weeks they have continued to see the numbers grow for their Meals on Wheels and the drive through lunch service which is available Monday through Friday from 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. “Our people are lonely, and we are working with the University on ideas for social support,” she said, “people really need to talk to someone.” Her staff is calling over 500 people each week to check up on them and see what they need, with the biggest need still being toilet paper. She said these partner meetings have been helpful and she appreciated what everyone is doing including the Aging Disability Division at the state. “It’s important to hear what everyone is doing; we all need to help each other.”
Rob Carnahan, CEO at Banner said he and his staff are trying to stay flexible and have learned a lot. He reiterated how important it is for people to continue to stay at home. “It is really helping keep the numbers down and has really helped the hospital, giving us more time to prepare,” he said. Banner staff has created alternative care sites inside the hospital as well as the tents outside. They have the ability to expand the ICU, surgery, and emergency departments if needed. Carnahan said, “there has been a lot of work to make sure we are prepared – improvise, adapt, overcome.” The hospital is using tele-health for the clinics and are working to keep all their doctors and nurses healthy. He said they have a good supply of N95 masks, and the pharmacy is supplied. “We are good on toilet paper.” He also thanked the partner team for all their work and said his staff continues to adapt and change at a moment’s notice based on new information and guidelines and are living by his motto, “to improve is to change, to be perfect is to change often.”
McDonald introduced the senior medical officer from NAS Fallon, Cmdr. Chris Joas, who spoke regarding procedures at the base. He explained that training at the base is the last stop as personnel leave to their duty stations on carriers. “Airwing 17 left a couple weeks ago and are currently in quarantine at their various stations.” The base is on Health Protection Charlie procedures and is open with screening procedures in place for inbound and outbound personnel, as well as at all buildings on base. Everyone is required to wear personal masks; the pharmacy remains open and the commissary is open as well with Tuesday and Friday being reserved for active duty only. All information regarding requirements and procedures are being updated daily on the Naval Air Station Fallon Facebook page.
Commissioner Bus Scharmann asked about the small businesses and the disaster loans, specifically the activities of CEDA and the Small Business Development Center. Commissioner Olsen said that Sara Beebee is working to make as much information available as she can and helping businesses through the process.
“It is nearly impossible,” said Olsen regarding the disaster loan process. “Big banks are not cooperative, and the community banks are trying but not consistent.” This issue will be addressed at the next meeting.
McDonald closed the meeting by asking the team to think about what stands out during all this that should be done in the future in terms of planning for future situations. Any suggestions and observations should be gathered and will be kept for the health board to consider later this summer “as we come out the other side of this,” he said.
We need your support now more than ever -- as our small business community is hit, so is our advertising support -- if you are able to support local, independent news, now is the time to click here to contribute to The Fallon Post, so we can continue to bring you up-to-the-minute information. We are your non-profit (501c3) online news source for all things Fallon and appreciate all your support.
Never miss the local news -- read more on The Fallon Post home page.
The Fallon Post -- 1951 W. Williams #385, Fallon, Nevada 89406
Comment
Comments